Turó d’en Mota
The 2005 vintage materialises the persistence of memory, recalling a year of timid rains, bold winter months, and incandescent summer skies—elements that shaped the Mediterranean character of a great wine for laying down.
- Ideal ripening point and harvest: August 27th, 2005.
- Manual harvest.
- Annual production of the vineyard: 5.400 kg of grapes.
- 3.984 bottles, each one numbered.
- Average temperature in 2004 – 2005 season: 15,6 ºC
- Historical average temperature: 15,4 ºC
- Rainfall from October 2004 to September 2005: 365 mm.
- Historical average rainfall in Sant Sadurní d’Anoia:: 527 mm.
- Long ageing of a minimum of 120 months with natural cork stopper.
- Riddling by hand in traditional racks.
- Manual disgorging without freezing the neck of the bottle.
- Vinification, wine-making and ageing in Recaredo.
Serve in a tall cup in the form of tulip, broad base and slightly closed upper part.
Keep this bottle at 15ºC to ensure a good evolution.
To appreciate all the complexity, we recommend opening the bottle a few minutes before and serving it around 10ºC.
The next vintage sold of what I consider the summit of sparkling wines of Penedès will be the 2005 Turó d'en Mota, one variety, one place, one vintage Xarello planted in 1940. It is superb, pungent and mineral; this is a wine that despite the long aging is still very much alive.
Location and geology of the wineyard
- The vineyard of Turó d’en Mota has 0.97 ha with north and northeast exposure. Only in the extraordinary harvests, such as 2006, is a part of the vineyard of 0.55 ha with Southeast exposure.
- Grounds of limestone texture (balance of sand, slime and clay) and very calcareous nature. They are treated with deep and well drained soils, with moderate water storage capacity.
- Soils very evolved due to the presence of a calcium horizon with important accumulations of carbonates in the form of nodules, that is, stones formed from concentrations of lime. They have an active limestone of 14%, which makes them extremely calcareous soils.
- Organic matter of 1.5% (very low) and soil pH of 8.5 (very basic)